Legacy Goes Digital for Fall Marketplace 2020
As we navigate these uncharted waters in our industry, the most important factor governing our actions is and should be how to best ensure the safety of ourselves, our families, and the people with whom we come in contact. Social distancing, wearing our face coverings, and avoiding large groups have become part of our lives for the foreseeable future. And safety for all has become Legacy’s focus in both the near-term and long-term.
With that, and the forecast we’ve been monitoring from the health and science community, today, we are announcing a major change in the format for the 2020 Fall Marketplace.
The Marketplace will take place as planned over the previously announced dates of October 19-21. The change is that instead of asking you to travel to Washington, DC to attend an in-person event, The Marketplace will come to you in a live-stream/online format.
This was the responsible decision for us to make. Intimate meetings have been an integral part of Legacy’s culture from Day 1, and although we feel strongly that the best way for us to conduct business is in a face-to-face environment, we feel that right now, it is too risky to try to execute.
Many factors contributed to our making this decision:
- The science and public health reports tell us that the virus is still not totally under control.
- Many Legacy Member companies have limited or banned travel for their teams during this time.
- Many Distributor Members have expressed anxiety about travelling right now.
- Our host hotel in DC has been closed for a few months, hopes to reopen in August, but has not yet announced a firm opening date.
All things considered, instead of building momentum for holding an in-person Marketplace, we find ourselves in a position where holding a successful in-person Marketplace is doubtful, and most importantly, if we were to have even one or two people come away from the meeting and test positive for COVID-19, we would feel like real jerks.
Changing to this live-stream/online format offers many positives for you.
- You can actively participate in The Marketplace from the safe environment of your desk, your home, virtually anywhere you can get an internet connection. Most any device (computer, iPad, mobile device) will get you there.
- We will expand The Marketplace from the normal two-day schedule to a three-day schedule, with shortened days. Most Supplier Members will have more than twice as many appointment slots as they historically have had. But you will have an abundance of built in time slots so that you can take a break and take care of other pressing issues in your business.
- You are in control of most of your schedule. If you normally have a staff meeting on Tuesday mornings, you can simply block that time off of your Marketplace schedule. The official times for The Marketplace will be set, but once we bring the site up, it will be available to you 24 hours a day for five days. This facilitates off-hours meetings, if necessary.
- You will connect online for your meetings through the portal that we will provide, and those connections can be webinars, screen sharing, chat, telephone, or video calls. However you want (and can) connect.
- Travel costs will be eliminated for all. No ticket, hotel room, entertaining, rental car, or taxi expenses.
The Marketplace is a time twice a year event where Legacy Members convene to conduct business together, see new products, see old friends, and make new ones. Rest assured, we are taking every step possible to replicate that expectation and experience with the online format we have planned. There are a number of enhancements with this format that will add value for both Distributor and Supplier Members.
And sure, we’ll have some fun too!
The Marketplace is a time to work hard, to learn, to make deals, and grow your business. But, it’s also a time to be with friends and have some fun. We have fun planned for all every day we are (virtually) together. Registration instructions for those not yet registered will be published in the next few days.
You have probably already done this, but if not, please mark your calendar from Monday, October 19 – Wednesday October 21 for Marketplace activity and make plans to take part in the Legacy 2020 Fall Marketplace.
If you’ve never been a part of the Marketplace, or have attended just a few, this is the best time and the very best value opportunity for everyone to participate. All of the benefits of Marketplace and more – without any travel expenses. Come see what you’ve been missing.
And for Member’s that regularly participate, we look forward to seeing you (online) in October.
Some housekeeping items:
- If you made a room reservation through our registration site and room block, we will cancel it for you.
- The Omni Shoreham is one of our favorite destinations. And we have rescheduled a Marketplace for there in the fall of 2022.
Look for lots more information coming your way in the next few days and weeks.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to any Legacy Team Member.
– Team Legacy